Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Essence + Organix Haul

So I have this problem. When I'm bored, I immediately head to either the mall or the drugstore because chances are, you can always find something that catches your eye! My latest haul comes courtesy of Shoppers Drug Mart (for American readers, it's like Walgreens). 


In total, I ended up with seven items. They were all priced under 5$ with the exception of the shampoo, but that was even on sale! Totally rare and unusual with the brand and Shoppers! 

First off, the shampoo. Not going to lie, I bought this based on the colour of the bottle and how cute it looked. I'm a sucker for pretty packaging and light pinks (as you can probably tell by my colour choices). It smells awesome, something that is really hard to fathom considering it's made with ginger. Plus, I was looking for something to repair my dull hair! Hopefully this one works out well! 


These two Essence XXXL Shine glosses were the first products to find their way into my shopping basket. The one on top being Nude Candy and the one on the bottom, Timeless Beauty. Nude Candy is a pale pink (nude) super shiny gloss. Now I'm not a huge fan of nudes. I think that they make my already fair skin look immensely washed out, but this gloss is a really sheer nude and compliments my skin. The bottom gloss, Timeless Beauty, is sheer as well. This one has some added sparkle and looks great over top of a lipstick or just on it's own for an everyday gloss. They both smell divine and don't have any icky tastes to them. 


Next up, I grabbed this lipstick in Frosted. Like the glosses, it's a sheer pink. It really goes great with the Timeless Beauty gloss over top. I'm not a fan of lipsticks that really add a lot of colour to your lips. I know that sort of contradicts the point, but there are times when I want to get the colour without the stickyness of a gloss. If you're looking for a cheaper version of the Revlon lip butters, try this!



After searching forever, I've finally found a nice neutral eye palette that went well with my blue eyes. I don't wear heavy eye makeup but I do love to do a smoky eye every now and then. This Essence Quattro is in called Over the Taupe and it features a light off white, a light taupe, an almost silver taupe-y grey and a dark grey, perfect for the crease of your eye. I also picked up a white eye liner for my inner eyes. White against the light blue of my eyes really makes them pop. The eye liner may seem like a hard pencil at first but once you've worked in the pencil a bit, it turns into a soft, easy to apply liner. 


Lastly, the 1.49$ nail polish! This one is in the shade A Lovely Secret. It's a fairytale purple with some really light purple, barely noticeable glitter strewn throughout. It takes about two coats to get a nice coverage but it dries immensely fast and is perfect for a quick polish change. The thing that I love about Essence's polishes, is that they are not overpriced and they are not in large bottles. How many of you have honestly finished off a bottle of nail polish that cost you something like 8$? These ones are perfect because they're easy to finish and produce less waste. Plus their line of colours is amazing and the polish beats out a lot of the bigger brand name polishes (in my opinion). 

If you haven't checked out Essence at your local Shoppers (in Canada) or Ulta (US), you might want to. They're a great European brand who have finally (and thankfully) broken into the North American market. I've been a loyal supporter of the brand since I visited Germany two years ago and now I just can't get enough! 

6 comments:

  1. Seriously, I'm bad at buying things because it looks pretty, and not knowing what the hell it does. lol. I've never tried Essence products, mainly because I usually go to CVS for drugstore products, not Walgreens. I'm gonna give it a try!
    & Yes, I added your button (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they sell Essence only at Ulta in the States? I'm not sure though, they might have them at Walgreens, I wouldn't know haha. But thanks! I added yours as well!

      Delete
  2. i do the same thing when i'm bored, i go to the drugstore. its become a huge issue lately! i have tried the organix shampoo and conditioner and didn't really like what it did to my hair but a lot of people like it, maybe it was just type of shampoo i got? let us know how well this one works!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually smelled a lot like Hollister perfume to be honest. I loved the smell, by far the best apart. As for the whole repairing thing, I don't notice a difference. But then again, I've only washed with it once. I'm also pretty sure you need to use both the conditioner and the shampoo to get the full repairing effect.

      Delete
  3. I sometimes do that when I'm bored, but I always go to the bookstore to buy books and the shampoo looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been able to find Essence in the states but my friend has and she's sending me a bunch of things in the mail, I'm pretty excited to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete