Monday, June 25, 2012

Crazy Over Essie

Essie's latest collection Bikini So Teeny managed to catch my eye in the drug store the other day! Bikini So Teeny consists of six shades that are guaranteed to make your nails pop for summer. I ended up purchasing only one from the collection and a second that was on sale.


In Canada, Essie prices range anywhere from $8.99 to $10.99 depending on where you go. Personally, I'd rather splurge on a $26 Chanel polish that I know will be great no matter what. For me, Essie is a hit or miss.

Some polishes that I have purchased from their line (Mojito Madness and Cute as a Button) have been a great consistency. What polish should be. While others (Meet Me At Sunset) seem runny and horrible to apply. I'm a two coat kind of girl. Anything more and I find myself wasting time. 

Meet Me At Sunset was one of the shades released in the Braziliant collection a while back. It's super runny and I'm honestly not a fan of applying it. The colour however, is fantastic. It's a gorgeous deep orange with red hues. If only It didn't take so many coats to apply. 

Mojito Madness was recently released in Essie's Bikini So Teeny collection. I've yet to use it on a full set. Essie calls it a 'fun loving lime green'. It might be a little lime, but it's definitely not the lime I'm used to. It really doesn't remind me of a mojito at all. Maybe a different name would have suited the colour. The formula in this polish is thick, unlike the one mentioned above. It's great to apply and usually takes two coats (sometimes one) for full coverage.

Lastly, I picked up Cute As A Button. I don't think It's from a specific collection but I do know that it was released in 2009. It's a peachy coral against my skin tone and it's definitely one of my new favourites. Once again, the swatch on the Essie website proves to look nothing like the actual product. It's a bright pink yet on Essie the swatch makes it seem like a deep "persimmon" like colour. Not even remotely close!


Application wise, like I said, it depends what you get. They are all different. Try before you buy with Essie.

I do love the colours that Essie puts out. They're all cute and they definitely have something for everyone. However, I'm stumped when I constantly see different swatches on the website, on beauty review sites and in stores! Everything is different! It makes it hard to plan ahead to buy a colour and when you get to the store, the colour is not what you expected at all. Definitely do not go by their website swatches. Go into the store and look yourself!

What are your thoughts on Essie polishes? Do you think they are hit or miss? Have you had a bad experience with their polishes in the past? 

7 comments:

  1. Here in New Zealand they're around $22 and seem like such a waste of money to buy when I can buy a bottle of O.P.I for $26.90. I've only tried Essie polishes in stores but I defiantly like O.P.I's consistency more. What do you think of Chanel nail polishes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 22$ is crazy! But 1$ NZD is equal to ~ 80 cents Canadian. I prefer Chanel nail polishes over all. They're worth the money and you get a great quality polish that doesn't chip. They're actually really fast drying too. Also, if you have Essence in NZ, you should try them. They're super cheap and the colours are awesome!

      Delete
    2. It is super crazy, but I suppose living in a small country means that. I might have a look into both Chanel and Essence! Thanks for the heads up ♥

      Delete
  2. I want to try that pink one so bad! I've been on the hunt for it everywhere but I can never find it....
    I can really relate to the coating process... I will not put on over two coats. And if I can I will only use one.
    I've never tried chanel polishes but I might splurge on one.

    What do you think of M.A.C polishes? I have been thinking about buying some.

    xoxo Thania
    http://www.lushbeautyy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of M.A.C polishes. I usually don't like their colours or their brushes. They are nice quality but just not for me!

      Delete
  3. Hey Haley,
    in Germany the essie polishes all got new brushes and they are sooooo fantastic! Maybe you will get them too. They´re way better than before now!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried the Essie polishes but the cute as a button polish is very pretty. I hope to try them soon.

    xo- Crissy
    http://splashkouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete